Historic Birch Lodge

Historic Birch Lodge
Historic Birch Lodge, Trout Lake, MI

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Smoke on the Water U.P. Forest Fire

Print Friendly and PDF
Trout Lake, MI during Duck Lake Fire
Saturday we made a quick trip up to Rudyard, as we returned about 3:00pm we noticed smoke on the horizon to the north.  We had heard about the 20,000 acre Duck Lake forest fire near Newberry, and we were concerned about the potential outbreak of more fires.  It has been unbelievably dry here this spring.  While that means few bugs to bother, it also means forest fires. 
Smoke at Birch Lodge from Duck Lake Fire

As I unloaded groceries, I smelled smoke.  I thought that someone had perhaps started a campfire.  As I stepped outside, the smoke haze was everywhere.  My heart stopped--did we have a fire coming toward us?  The wind was steep out of the north and north west.
 I ran to close up the lodge and the motel windows.  I noticed you could no longer see the other side of the lake!    I thought about loading the computers and the dogs into the cars just in case. 

Bill more logical, went into town and asked the guys at the bar what was going on.  No nearby fires they new about, but the wind had shifted, and we were now directly downwind of the big fire.

  I was relieved to hear the news, but I was still nervous with such a strong wind and so much smoke in the air.

 By the next morning the wind had shifted again, and we were almost back to normal.  Sunday night brought calm wind and a little rain to ease the fire and my nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment