Thursday, September 13, 2012
Fall Mushrooms at Birch Lodge or the Fungus Among Us
We have had quite a bit of rain in the last couple of weeks. This seems to have given rise to an abundance of mushrooms and fungi this fall.
I thought it would be interesting to figure out if any of these are edible. Assuming that I did identify them properly, I found that mushrooms seem to fall into edible, non-edible, poisonous, poisonous to some people, and dubious categories.
It is further recommended that it is to be eaten only in moderation and not consumed over long periods of time. I think I will keep on picking my mushrooms at the market...I am sure Bill with breathe a sigh of relief here.
So, I will just enjoy their colors and variety. There are mushrooms on trees, on stumps and through the woods and lawn.
I seems no matter where you look there they are. Some are quite pretty and flower like, others are not so pretty and look like....well you judge.....